Activist countries

Healdsburg’s brand new Little Saint features wines from 13 countries

Little Saint in Healdsburg, which opened on Friday, offers an international abundance of wines from 13 countries, including Greece, Croatia, Lebanon, France and South Africa. The 300-bottle list also features an impressive selection of exceptional wines made in Sonoma County.

For wine director Alexandria Sarovich, who joined Little Saint’s sister restaurant, Single Thread, as sommelier three years ago, creating the wine program for the highly anticipated new restaurant was an exercise in curiosity and intuition. . With a focus on sustainably produced wines and those made by women and people of color, the wines from Little Saint Restaurant, Bar and Wine Shop exemplify Sarovich’s interest in supporting winemakers from underrepresented communities.

“When we choose a wine, we choose what suits us,” she said. “I hadn’t tasted many BIPOC wines before starting this program, but that’s what interests me the most. It’s fair to look at these wines with an open mind.

Located in the 10,000 square foot space formerly occupied by SHED Modern Grange, Little Saint is a restaurant, cafe, wine boutique and event space for Kyle and Katina Connaughton of Single Thread, philanthropist Jeff Ubben, l animal activist Laurie Ubben and designer Ken Fulk.

Approximately 80% of the wines available at the restaurant will be sold in the wine shop, with the remaining 20% ​​reserved for restaurant customers only. Local winemakers will be offering free wine tastings to the public every other Tuesday, starting with Tom Darling of Darling Wines on May 3.

On other days, customers can stop by the tasting area and buy a white, red or sparkling wine by the glass from a list that is updated weekly.

“I want people to feel like they can come in regularly and enjoy an affordable glass or bottle of wine, whether it’s a $13 bottle of cava or a $40 bottle of nebbiolo,” Sarovich said. “I don’t want the space to feel like it’s reserved only for special occasions because of the price.”

In the future, Little Saint plans to hold wine launch parties, wine dinners and other special events.

Subscribe to our newsletters!